Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Day When My Life Changed Completely
My eyes flew open. I looked around the room and its pitch black, except for a dim light from the hallway. A shadow was bent over on the end of my bed. The shadow came toward me. It was breathing heavily and the voice was muffled. I found out that it was my eighteen-year-old brother, crying. I couldn’t figure out what he was trying to say, until I heard two words: “Dad’s dead.” I didn’t hit me right away and he got up and stumbled out of my room. I fell out of my bed onto the hard floor.
I walked into my parent’s empty room. There was my cat lying at the end of my dad’s side of the bed, then I walked down the hallway, into the living room and there was my grandma and aunt, also crying. I continued into the family room and all my family members were there, along with some neighbors too. They all looked at me as walked in, not crying. They all started saying how sorry they were and they asked what they could do to help. I was so stunned that I turned around and headed back to my room, then I went back to sleep and woke up the next day at 7:50am. I got up and walked down the hallway. I saw bloodstains on the carpet by the front door; I kept walking towards the family room where I saw my cat, lying in the middle of the floor, motionless. I poked him and he got up slowly and walked away. I then strolled into the family room again and lay down on one of the couches. My mom asked me, “Do you want to go to school today?”
I said “yes” and went to go get dressed. Grabbing my bag, I ran out of my house to my brother’s girlfriend’s car. As we drove up the hill we saw three cars full of my brothers friends drive past us on their way to my house. We headed towards Washington middle school.
I walked in the door to sign in and go to class. When Mrs. Butler asked if I was okay, I answered her with a fine and she asked me if I wanted to go talk to Mr. Costello. I walked down the hallway to Mr. Costello’s office, feeling like I just wanted to run to class instead of talking to him. He asked me what he could do, but I didn’t reply. The answer in my head was nothing at all and that I didn’t want him to do anything. He asked again and this time I replied with “ I just want to be in class with all my friends.” Then Mr. Costello went to my first class to talk to the class about me joining them. He came back a couple of minutes later with Erin Briggs to walk with me on the way to class. Just before class was over Mr. Costello wanted me to come back to his office with Erin while he went and talked to my next class. He came back about ten minutes later and Erin walked me down to math.
As I walked in, everyone turned around and looked at me. I saw Mia crying and saying she was sorry. Then I turned to see Sandra crying and she couldn’t say anything at all. After twenty minutes of class, Erin came back to get me and we headed back to Mr. Costello’s office. After he came back from talking to the class about who knew what, Erin escorted me to technology. Hannah and I were working on our web page when I saw Takara walk by. I left quickly and quietly to go tell her what had happened and how. Then Erin came again to get me and we darted off to lunch.
I got corned by all of my friends’ sad faces and puffy eyes, claiming how sorry they were and asking what they could do to help me. Erin thankfully saved me by pulling me out of the corner. We were then sitting down; eating lunch, when someone said my brother was there to pick me up because it was a half-day. I headed out the door smiling and Travis asked me why I was leaving and I replied, “Because my brother is here to pick me up.” Then he asked why I was smiling and I said, “Because I am happy.” He asked me how I could be happy if my dad just died. I turned and walked away feeling sad again.
After I got home I went to a party with Takara. We went shopping and then went to red robin to eat. After that, Takara’s parents picked us up and took me home. Tons of people brought food over and all I did all day was play Nintendo 64. Then I went to school on Monday. It was a normal day, but I noticed everyone was looking at me or saying they were sorry. People acted weird around me the whole entire day.
The day of the service was the saddest day of my life. When we walked out to sit down, all I could see were the tears filling my eyes, then streaming down my face. You could hear people crying from everywhere in the church. I heard people in the back of me and I turned around and saw a ton of my friends crying. When I saw all of them, I started laughing. When the service was over and we were going up the path, I looked around at all the flowers I could see. When we got home, there were flowers everywhere I looked. People were all around my house, talking and eating. All kind of flowers were around the room…red roses, white roses, yellow roses, trees, fake plants in all kinds of colors, and trees to plant outside. After al while everyone started to leave and it was time to go to sleep.
That is to be my most significant moment in my life. Nothing will ever be the same after that moment in time. Never to be treated the same or see things in the same light as before. Now I was different from everyone else, my family was no longer considered normal and circumstances for me were changed forever. Now I take nothing for granted and never regret anything I have done.

So I had to write this for a class, so I thought I would just add it to my journal.

Marisa

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Maris- I read over your journal entry last night and it just made me think back to those days. I remember being the first one to voulenteer because I wanted to be there for you. I remembered back to freshman year to when we would hangout every weekend, and you and I were the most knowledgable girls about football, so everyone would always ask us about what was going on. I remember the Friday night hangouts or the trips to the cornmaze with all of the 'older' boys and how everyone admired us. What happened to those days? Do you ever wonder how a person can change so much in a matter of four years? What happened to the friends you used to know. I don't know, but if ever you want to spend a night catching up, I'll be here for you.
-E

December 10, 2004 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Kitty,
So I just arrived in from my game and was thinking about you becasue my dad always is like "i wonder how the oly girls are doing" well i got online and was bored so i started checking peoples blogs you never update but I checked anyways because i thought there could have been a chance. I started reading and it brought back the memory of sitting in the grass staring at the stars, and searching for satelites at centenial having a good chat about everything. Then your dad came up, first you talked about how it happened and such then It came to the being sad becasue he couldnt be there for your games, then the real tear jerker came. This is what you said and i remember it clear as day.

"Dorothy, the thing that makes me saddest is he won't be there to walk me down the isle, sure I will have jay jay for that but it will be hard to make it a happy day when I will be so sad missing him." Marisa my dear you truley amaze me with all you have been through. I know sometimes you just need to talk about it and it feels like some people don't want to talk about it (you know who) but please please please know that your dog is ALWAYS only a phone call away. i know its not as good as a centenial, or the capital court house look out but that doesn't mean im not there for you. i love you mo mo and owe you a phone call... gosh im so bad at calling people when i say i will.

-doggy

December 11, 2004 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home